Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Med School Wednesday -- Sunrise

This month and next I am assigned to do my two surgery rotations.  The way that my scheduled worked out, my specialty rotation is in the burn ICU and happens before my general surgery rotation (which is Trauma, so not really general either).  I will be the first to admit that I haven't been in an ICU for any length of time since I was in nursing school and did a two week ICU rotation.  Ten years ago. 

It's not that much has changed since then -- all the basics are more or less the same.  It's more that I am COMPLETELY out of my element.  Not to mention that I was totally unprepared for an ICU experience when I was planning on a surgery rotation.  Which has led to quite the overwhelming week.  Not to mention that I was completely unprepared for the hours I would be keeping on a regular basis. 

My alarm is set for 4 AM.  And that's mostly because I just can't bear to set it for an hour that starts with 3.  Because...no.  I just can't do it. 

On the up side, the people are lovely and it's mostly a laid back rotation.  Not to mention that I am learning a ton.  You know, when my head isn't spinning. 

And the sunrises are pretty awesome to watch. 

sunrise in the burn ICU


No comments: