Thursday, May 21, 2009

Of Saints and Miracles

Saints are, according to the ultimate information source Wikipedia, those who have been called to holiness.

If you are Roman Catholic, you believe in Saints, and you probably know at one point were educated on the process by which one actually becomes a Saint. For those of you who want the detailed version, it is right here. But the Cliff's notes version is that there is investigation, some other stuff, and miracles -- for someone to be a saint, they have to perform at least one miracle.

A story ran in the St. Louis Post Dispatch yesterday, with the story of a girl who had cancer. Due to the multitude of funerals that I attended for friends over the last few weeks, this story caught my eye. But when I read more into the story, I realized that I knew this girl that the story was written about. She was a student of my aunt, and someone that I had met once, when she was first diagnosed.

Since her initial diagnosis, the girl has had more than one relapse, but continued to defy the odds. In November 2002, she was discovered to have a tumor in her spine, lungs and heart. The prognosis was fatal, and she was given a few weeks to live.

On May 19, 2004, surgeons removed the tumor from her chest cavity...and discovered that it was dead.

This Monday, May 19, 2009, she has been cancer free for five years. When you have been cancer free for five years, you are considered cured. And if her cure is considered a miracle by the Vatican, Chaminade will be canonized...and become a Saint.

My background is obviously in health care, and I do believe in the powers of science and the major advances in medical science that have helped to cure diseases in multitudes of people.

But sometimes I still believe in miracles.

10 comments:

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

That's amazing and is most certainly a miracle alright.

Stacy said...

I do, too, Maggie! What a wonderful outcome for that girl. While I believe you need to do whatever you can medically if you are diagnosed with anything bad, a bit of prayer should be in there as well. :)

Arizaphale said...

I wish there could have been some miracles for our friends Maggie but at least this young lady has a chance at life again.

Christina said...

I do too. I believe in miracles - they surround us every day. It give me goose bumps!

Kimberly said...

Me too Maggie. What a powerful story. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I forget that miracles are possible...even though I do believe. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

hi there dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking as far as something that meticulous model. The prices due to the fact that the boots were about 250 dollars on every page. But completely I set this location selling them for the benefit of half price. I exceptionally want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy these. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

hi friends. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been looking allowing for regarding that particular brand. The prices as regards the velcros are about 330 bucks on every site. But completely I bring about this locate selling them for half price. I absolutely want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase these. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

hi bros. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking allowing for regarding that particular make. The prices for the velcros are about 200 pounds on every site. But definitively I found this site selling them someone is concerned half price. I in reality want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order them. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

hi everyone. I'm actually into shoes and I have been searching for the sake of that exact brand. The prices for the boots were about 340 pounds on every page. But completely I found this locate selling them for half price. I absolutely like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy these. what can you say about it?