Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Just When You Think You've Seen Everything....

I like to consider myself somewhat of a worldly individual. I have seen lots, and I think that I am reasonably well informed about the ways of the world and life in general.

And then I went to roller derby.

And wow. NOW I might have seen everything.

I won't take the time to try and explain the rules because I don't really understand them because I think that observing the sights seen at roller derby is much more interesting...

And why, you wonder, was I at such an...ecclectic event? My cousin plays (rolls?) for the Smashinistas, a roller derby team in St. Louis. And after hearing her talk about it, I was anxious to see the whole thing in person. And I assure you, I was not disappointed! I can also assure you that I have never seen so much fish net in one place in my life. And that includes the time that I was on a fishing wharf.

This is her in action:

DSC_0531

Basically she just skates around in a circle and knocks other girls down. There's more to it than that, but we're not focusing on the rules right now.

DSC_0536

And in addition to the players, there were also some very special scary unique fans.

Like the gentleman who dressed in his camo mini skirt. And wig. And of course a stunning pair of fish nets.

DSC_0510

And his friend, who paired her camo and fishnets with a tiara.

DSC_0539


Or this other gentleman, who preferred to singlehandedly attempt to revive the 70s. Including making a disco ball out of aluminum foil.

DSC_0493

And lest you think that there weren't some normal more subtle members of the crowd, fear not. Not only was I in attendance with my friend Erin who I suckered into going with me out of fear for what might be in store for me at a roller derby event, and lots of family memebers, but the mayor of St. Louis was there too!

DSC_0494

DSC_0549

DSC_0546

DSC_0488

So before you think you've seen everything...have YOU seen a roller derby game?

17 comments:

Blueberry said...

no i have not, but it sounds highly entertaining! :)

Stacy said...

That looks like so much fun! Just the people watching would be hilarious.

Brittany said...

I have never seen one! That is SO COOL!!!! Are you going to start a team, now?? ;)

jenna said...

I just interviewed a woman for a job and when I got to the 'what do you like to do for fun' question, she told me she does the roller derby. Now I'm completely intrigued!

Christina said...

Nope, never experienced a roller derby game - sounds like quite the spectacle!

Unknown said...

It actually is really big here in LA (go figure!) and I've been asked to attend a derby once or twice but it hasn't worked out with my scheduling. It is definitely on my to-do list.

It looks so fun.

Cara said...

I've never seen one in person but I have watched it on TV, I never understood the rules either.

Joanna said...

I've never been to one either, but ya, the people watching would be worth it!

Kimberly said...

LOL! I've seen one on tv before but they must have panned away from the strange people. ;) So much fun in your photos!

Jaimee said...

Oh my, that looks like fun just for the people watching!

Dawn said...

call me crazy (or just someone who watches a lot of tv), but the girl in the last few pictures looks like a winner from america's next top model a few seasons ago, nicole.

Anonymous said...

I have not, but I hear it's amazing! And WOW those fans are pretty amazing. Gotta love the camo miniskirt... I have one just like it at home...

Anonymous said...

i haven't! man, that's what i missed?? i totally missed out. :(

Anonymous said...

The local roller derby team used to throw the sickest parties in college...sort of on par with the hockey team's (without the drugs) and the rugby teams (without the gross). The derby's cool...

Have you been to a demolition derby?

Maya said...

That is just awesome! I bet it's fun...but I would totally break something! :)

Anonymous said...

those pictures of katie are awesome

Arizaphale said...

Errrr no. I haven't. I am slightly disturbed however :-)