Thursday, August 25, 2011

Roller Derby

One of my cousins does (plays?) roller derby. If it weren't for her, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the first clue about it. Well, mostly I still have no idea about it. But I have been to a roller derby match (game?) to watch her. I went once in St. Louis, and then again in Kansas City when she called to tell me she would be in town for one night to play.

If you haven't ever been to roller derby, I assure you it is QUITE the experience. While I still have absolutely NO idea what the rules are, it was still pretty entertaining to watch. Let me tell you, there are plenty of opportunities to people watch at an event like that!

Roller Derby - 08.13.2011 (17 of 72)


Roller Derby - 08.13.2011 (25 of 72)


Roller Derby - 08.13.2011 (37 of 72)


Roller Derby - 08.13.2011 (71 of 72)


Cousins


I also made my friend come with me -- I figured that roller derby is an experience that everyone should have at least once. She agreed -- and brought her kids and husband along for the fun!

If we were in roller derby...


Roller Derby - 08.13.2011 (2 of 72)


Roller Derby - 08.13.2011 (4 of 72)
I'm pretty sure that any baby that can sleep through roller derby is a keeper...it is a very LOUD event!


Toes in the fountain


Roller Derby - 08.13.2011 (61 of 72)

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Very cool. It's started to get popular again here too, but I haven't gotten out to watch it yet.

I highly recommend watching 'Whip It'. A great movie involving roller derby.

Arizaphale said...

I felt this way about basketball the first time I went to see it. It was full-on! A sensory overload...lights, music, commentary etc. But this derby thing....is it a race? Is there a ball? Is it like WWF on wheels????? hahahahha