Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Confessions



I am a list maker.

I will make lists of books to read, movies to see, things to do, and even future lists that need to be made. That's right, I will make a list of lists. Shut up.

There are several reasons that list making appeals to me, the least of which is that the time spent making the list is time spent not forcing myself to jump into the task at hand. Lists make things orderly. Lists are neat. And most of all, lists give me a direction to head. Some days I think that if I didn't have a list, that I would spend the entire day thinking about what I should do and never actually DO anything.

Like everyone else, I am doing a million things, and trying to keep everyone happy. Which explains why there are times that I can find myself taking a shower, and realize that I forgot to take off my socks first. I kid you not, this has actually happened to me. More than once. The ONLY way I can manage to keep it together is lists.


However, for a list maker, making lists can become somewhat of an obsession. So I try to limit myself. I have a general to do list (doesn't everyone?!). And then I have a daily list. I pick 5 things every day that I need to do that day. Anything else I happen to get accomplished is just a bonus. And while I don't always get all 5 things done, I do more often than I don't. It's something to aim for if nothing else.


And the joy of checking something off of a list? Well that's pretty great too...

10 comments:

Unknown said...

One of the best feelings in the world, to cross stuff off of a list!

I'm a huge "list" maker, too...

Anonymous said...

lists are great,
crossing stuff off is better,
ripping the list of stuff up after it done is the BEST!

Arizaphale said...

So this is the secret to your success? I used to make lists but as my life became more chaotic I made less and less! Go figure. Catch-22 I think :-D

Jen said...

I love lists! Couldn't live without them and I too have multiple lists. And a huge ROFL at socks in the shower.

Brittany said...

I love, love, love, love, my lists too!!!! I however get really mad when I don't finish my entire lists. Maybe I need to try that 5 things a day, thing.

Christina said...

Hello fellow list maker! Me too. :o) It's a great feeling to cross stuff off! I like the idea of 5 must-dos a day.

Stacy said...

I am totally the same way. I have tons of lists, unfortunately I don't check the box as often as I would like.

Dawn said...

I'm all about lists. We have a lot in common. :)

jenna said...

I am so with you. Sometimes, if I don't get to making my list first thing, I'll actually put things on the list that I already did just so that I can cross them off!

Maya said...

I'm a little weird with my list making too!!!