Sunday, November 25, 2007

Imprisonment

I am a horrible person. A seriously horrible person. And this is why:

I went out of town to my parents for Thanksgiving. I left on Wednesday afternoon and returned this evening. I walked in (glad to be home after an extra 2.5 hours in the car) and noticed that Joey the cat was not waiting for us at the front door. Hmmm...this is quite strange indeed, given that Joey thinks that he is a dog.

A few more steps showed completely full food and water dishes. Another bad sign, as Joey is a 19 lb cat who does NOT miss meals.

And then I heard it. A little meow. FROM THE CLOSED CLOSET DOOR.

That's right, I am a horrible person because I left my cat locked in a closet for 4 days (completely by accident) without any food or water. Not to mention that the closet was completely stocked with christmas gifts and didn't even have room for him to turn around!

I nearly died, I felt so guilty. I actually still feel guilty...how do you make something like that up to a cat?

Luckily Joey the cat seems to be fine - he's eating and running around and even climbed up on my lap - so apparently isn't holding a grudge. But I still feel like a horrible person. Eek!

11 comments:

chaoticfamily said...

Don't feel bad. He was probably cozy... Warm even... I'm sure he feels and senses your guilt and would like nothing more than for you to feel better.

Maya said...

Ha ha ha! These things all happen to us!

Debbie said...

Oh, this has happened in this household so many times!

I actually have to prop open or close doors (after doing a kitty sweep first) before we go out of town because kitty will close herself in a room.

Heather said...

I'd say fresh tuna for a week would take care of it! Anyway, don't experts say animals have no concept of time? As far as your cat knows, you were only gone for an hour.

Unknown said...

Awwwww...poor kitty. Poor kitty's mommy!

Amy said...

Oh so sorry! I would feel horrible too. Good thing he's so chubby - he probably could have lived in there for a good while!

At least he's OK. You'll always remember to check now!

jodifur said...

Oh, that's terrible. I'm sorry.

April said...

I know you feel guilty - but it is kinda funny - sorry! But absolutely, I agree with the other commenter - fresh tuna for a week and you're absolved from all wrong doing!

Stacy said...

Poor guy! My cat usually locks herself into rooms by playing with the door until it closes on her. We find her many times in one of the bathrooms when we come home from work.

Anonymous said...

Some thing like that has happened to ALL OF US at one time or another. ;-)

When I moved into my new house I "lost" my cat Chloe for about 4 days. I say lost becuz she was an indoor cat who just disappeared in my tiny cape. I even heard faint pitiful meows for 2 nights in a row (with my other 2 cats looking around quizzically for the third) and checked closets, under furniture,in cabinets, in the crawl space in the attic, in the hole in the wall that I hadn't patched yet...the one place I forgot to check till day four? THE BASEMENT! She was cowering behind a piece of wood! She still loved me though thank goodness. LOL

Swistle said...

I would feel terrible too! Especially because I assume there was a significant mess to clean up in the closet. I hope he didn't pee on any of the gifts!