Friday, April 17, 2009

Luck

Luck.

A concept that everyone knows about. "He's down on his luck," you might hear. "There's no such thing as luck," says someone else. "Some guys have all the luck," goes the song.

There are lucky charms that you carry, lucky charms that you eat. Lucky pennies. Lucky numbers. There is good luck and there is bad luck.

On almost a daily basis I look around and wonder how in the world I got so lucky. I have a wonderful life: friends I adore, an education that I worked hard for, and a job that, even when stressful, I truly enjoy and am good at.



I don't have any good luck charms, but I do have this four leaf clover taped to my desk. Garrett found it for me almost two years ago "to cheer me up" when I found out a good friend had significantly advanced cancer. How he found that one four leaf clover in a field of thousands, I'll never know. But he was so proud of finding it, and it did cheer me up. I promised that I would hold onto it, because sometimes you need all the luck you can get.

Almost two years have passed, and I have kept my promise - I've still got that four leaf clover, and I see it several times a day; I run my fingers over it every time I sit down to work. Today, in the span of a few hours, several friends have taken turns for the worse and started hospice care - the chances of them surviving more than a few days is minimal, at best. I'm incredibly sad to have to say goodbye, although I am thankful that there will be an end to their suffering and pain.

And I am reminded, yet again, of just how lucky I am.

6 comments:

Stacy said...

So sorry to hear that your friends are in hospice care. Prayers to them.

I feel the same way...I don't know how I got to be so lucky. I'm always waiting for the shoe to drop, though. I'm hoping that I still have some karma left to make up for other no so lucky stuff that happened earlier in my life.

Christina said...

Beautiful post, Maggie.

Unknown said...

That is wonderful. A wonderful reminder, too. I think we all need a 4-leaf clover taped somewhere we can see every day.

Praying for your friends at this time, too.

Arizaphale said...

Sending thoughts your way as you start down this tough road with your friends. Amazing that Garrett found that 4 leaf clover.....very cool.

Shalee said...

Oh Maggie. I'm sorry to hear that your heart is so sad.

We're in the "There's no such thing as luck" camp, but I do believe in God's favor and the blessings that we have from him. You've been blessed like crazy, girl. You're just smart and lovely enough to see it.

(Like Garrett, I seem to find the 4 leaf clovers often. Love finding them in the see of green!)

Kimberly said...

Poignant as ever Maggie. Best wishes to your friends.