Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Out with the old...

I am the first to admit that I find New Year's Eve to be the worst holiday ever. Although I have discovered that I am far from the only person to feel this way and rank NYE at the bottom of their 'favorite holiday' list.

I spent a significant amount of time at least five minutes wondering what exactly it is about NYE that earns it my disdain. It could be that endings are usually sad, so making a holiday out of such a thing seems like a silly idea. After all, who wants to celebrate something sad? Or it could be that beginnings are usually scary - and scary is also not something that usually begats celebration. Or it could just be that, after several years of being sick or injured or working for the biggest party night of the year NYE, that I decided it wasn't worth it to try and make one night live up to the fuss. It's probably a combination of all factors.

So my big ringing in of 2008? I was asleep on the couch. Although I did wake up the umpteen times that my phone rang - just long enough to silence the awful racket receive lovely new year's wishes.

Truth be told? I am much happier after giving up on the idea that there was anything wrong with spending NYE in my pjs at home. And it has done wonders to increase my productivity on New Year's Day - today I managed to take down all my Christmas decorations, plow through the mounds of paper that seemed to be floating near my computer clean off my desk, and do million other things that I have been meaning to do and not gotten around to. All in all, I'd say that so far 2008 is off to a pretty great start!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too am not the biggest fan of the New Year's celebrations!! I have slept through the past 2 ball drops in hopes of just getting enough sleep to have the energy to keep up with a newborn/1-year-old each of the last 2 NYE's. I also got the year started off somewhat productive as my Christmas decor is all put up and I even broke out the vacuum and sorted through the mounds of candy so as to more conveniently pick out my favorites and "donate" the not so good stuff to my coworkers or something!! Anyhow, enough rambling - should have sent an email!! :)

Christina said...

I have similar feelings about NYE! I guess I'm not the only party pooper. :o)
You asked about what program I used to create the collages...I use Photoshop Elements for all my photo editing.

niobe said...

I pretty much like NYE, because it's a low stress holiday. You don't have to attend some religious service or deal with difficult members of your family or pretend to be happy or thankful or think deep thoughts. You just have to stay up (if you feel like it) and maybe have a drink or two. And then you get a whole new calendar full of blank pages where anything -- anything at all -- might happen.

jodifur said...

I hear ya! I was in bed at 11.

brandy said...

New Years is my least favourite holiday as well. I just find that there's so much pressure. To have the perfect outfit, to be at the perfect party... and if you are single? There's the pressure of who are you going to kiss at midnight. I spent New Years this year with a dear friend watching Brothers and Sisters- and I loved every second of it.

Anonymous said...

I went to bed at 10:30. I actually think it was the best NYE I've ever had!

April said...

I HATE NYE, too!! Every year my husband I find something to bicker about - each and every TEN of the past NYEs....but sometimes you feel like a total dweeb for not having some glamorous party to attend - we had a few friends over, drank a few mojitos, played Scene It and watched the ball drop and make snide remarks about all the commentators. All in all, a good year!

Arizaphale said...

I think the reason it is such a letdown of a holiday is precisely because it has so little meaning. I mean, one day is much the same as another right? It's all so arbitrary.
But any excuse to drink champagne for me!!!