Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Med School Wednesday -- Psych

When you are in medical school, the list of tasks required is long.  Which, I suspect, is common among lots of different schools.  One of the things required in medical school is rotations through various different areas of medicine.  In November, my rotation was psychiatry.  Which I did at the local VA hospital.

I know.

Now, this is not to say that I am not incredibly thankful to all of the veterans out there for everything that they have done.  Because I am.  But I was somewhat anxious about doing my psychiatry rotation there, as that entire area of medicine has a different flavor than any other. 

I must admit -- my initial guesses at what it would be like were totally and completely wrong.  It was FABULOUS.  Now, this is not to say that I love psych -- while it is interesting, it isn't something that I could see myself doing on a daily basis.  But the people that I worked with were absolutely AMAZING.  They were so kind and helpful and willing to answer questions...the residents and attending that I was with completely and totally made my month on psych a fantastic experience, and I could not be more thankful for that.  I had one other student with me full time during the rotation and that only served to make the experience even better.  It was so nice to have a partner in crime for the month -- not to mention someone who could help give me advice on all of the things left to do for the next year and a half of medical school!

And it doesn't hurt that the view wasn't too bad either...

View from the VA


1 comment:

Arizaphale said...

I think psych workers are angels. It's a crap job! Fascinating but emotionally exhausting. Glad you enjoyed the time.