Sunday, October 19, 2008

Best Shot Monday: Accomplishments

It seems that when you get to be an adult, the accomplishments are somewhat fewer and farther between than when you were little. Or maybe they aren't, only less celebrated. The big ones still are - babies, marriages, graduations - but there isn't really a celebration for managing to complete the everyday business of being a grown up. No one tells you that you did a good job when you folded the laundry, or claps for you when you manage to show up on time AND with an outfit that is clean (although if your outfit also matches and is ironed, then sometimes there is a bit of clapping - after all, major accomplishments should always be noted).

It never really bothers me that the general business of living isn't acknowledged -- I go on about my business, and that's just fine with me.

But Saturday? Saturday deserved a bit of clapping. I finished a half marathon.

Number


medal



I finished a half marathon with almost no preparation (which, by the way, is NOT a method that I recommend).

maggie and sara


And I was even lucky enough to have some friends there to cheer me (and the other girls running with me) on. Which deserves some clapping too, since it was not only early on a Saturday morning, but COLD.

Bioethics Rocks 1

allison, maggie, sara 6

So these are my best shots from last week. Because this? This was the best thing I have done in a long time. And it deserved a little bit of clapping.

For more best shots, see what everyone has to share at Tracey's!


red BSM button

26 comments:

Andrea said...

This is awesome.

Way to go!!

-Andrea, who really needs to start walking!

Megan said...

you rock! standing ovation from here, girl :)!

Blueberry said...

WOW! that is awesome!!

great job!!!!!

:)

Joanna said...

I love this post. It is so true that day to day accomplishments are just not celebrated. So many things that we do as an adult are considered our duty. But this Maggie, is definately something to celebrate. To do something like this for yourself and others is wonderful.

Congratulations!

Christina said...

HUGE round of appluase from me! That is awesome - you go, girl!!! You must feel proud of yourself.

Love that first paragraph, too!

emily said...

You definitely deserve clapping! Great job, and I really like the first photo.

Dawn said...

DAMN RIGHT you deserve some clapping!! I was wondering when this race was and I'm glad to hear that you were able to accomplish it with all the busyness in your world these days. You ROCK!!

Maggie, any race-day tips (clothing, eating, etc.)? Were you allowed to use headphones? Or did you just think about how you couldn't wait to finish as you plugged along? That's my biggest worry - not having my usual best friend (Mr. iPod) with me.

Mine's in 3 weeks. Rock on!!

tracey clark said...

YAY YOU!!!! Great shots and an even greater accomplishment!

MGF said...

Way to go...

Never ran a marathon, you deserve a pat on the back.

Kara said...

Now its time for ice cream! Right?

Unknown said...

Way to go, Maggie!! I'm trying to talk myself out of mine in November...haven't trained enough, blah, blah, blah...but you have ust inspired me girl!

Rockin!

Jaimee said...

AWESOME!!! Congratulations!! I'm standing and clapping right now! Now, go get a massage! :)

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

you are amazing!!! woohooo!! :)

Anonymous said...

Patting you on the back from way over here. Great job!! I'm inspired. Not to run a half marathon. But to do something...

Brittany said...

Great job! I am impressed!!!

Jen said...

You go girl. I ran a half marathon about a million years ago (way before kids). Itrained for months and still thought I was going to die. I am seriously impressed.

Killlashandra said...

That's awesome! I can't even imagine running a marathon half or full. What a great accomplishment. :)

Cara said...

Yeah! Clap, clap, clap, clap! Rah, Rah, Rah! You go girl! It must feel great to finish something like that and you should be proud. I still like the idea of clapping and celebrating the folded laundry myself.

Anonymous said...

Hooray!!! Massive amounts of applause are being sent your way! This is a great accomplishment (and a huge motivator for me too!).

Rose said...

Hand clapping for you!! That IS awesome! Not something I can do.

Shalee said...

Oh, that is absolutely inspiring! You go girl! And it was cold on Saturday, wasn't it? Thankfully it warmed up a bit...

Kimberly said...

clapclapclapclapclapclap

Hear that? It's thunderous applause coming from my general direction. Wonderful accomplishment, and beautifully written Maggie!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

YOU. ROCKETH.

A congrats is DEFINITELY in order. Tell me you didn't run this thing with a 4 pound SLR around your neck! :)

Anonymous said...

That deserves a ton of clapping and hollering!!! Way to go girl!

Stacy said...

I'm clapping for you over here! Great job! I don't know how you people can get up and run in those early mornings, but most definitely good for you. That is worth being proud of! :)

Arizaphale said...

Are you overwhelmed by the applause yet? No? wel here's some MORE
YEAYYEAYYEAYWOOHOOOHOOOORRRRAAAAYCLAPCLAPCLAP

Geez. I feel impressed when I make 3kms on the treadmill!!!!